Saturday, August 18, 2007

Enjoying Summer


What a gift today was! Just a lovely day to be in the park, and in nature. I learned that the wind can affect "birding." It can "blow" birds in, or keep them away. I'm still not sure how all of that works, but I do know that it was quite blustery today, and we saw very little in the way of unusual birds. I enjoy the "pedestrian" ones just fine, they are all beautiful to me. And, if we see something a bit special, why that's wonderful too.

Today's list contained:

1 Acadian Flycatcher
1 Black And White Warbler
2 Cardinals
2 Cat Birds
Multiple Ducks
2 Mocking Birds
Multiple Pigeons (Rock Doves)
1 Red-Tailed Hawk
Multiple Robins
Multiple Sparrows
Multiple Starlings

And, we happened-upon some birding experts who had just seen "under ten minutes ago" the following:
1 Downy Woodpecker
2 Eastern Kingbirds
1 Red-Eyed Vireo
2 Scarlet Tanagers

Of course just when I pulled out my camera to grab a lovely shot of a gorgeous cardinal, it flew away!


We took a break and met new friends from Yonkers. They bring their beloved pets (who are like family to them) to the Park almost every weekend. Their two parrots, Gazpacho and Guacamole (can you guess which is which?) are from Indonesia. I did not have the privilege of learning the doggie's name as he was not there while we were getting acquainted.

No comments: