Thursday, January 24, 2008
SANS Security New Orleans
Photo Credit: Kathy Northcutt/SANS Institute (2008)
Here's our facilitator team from my most recent SANS Digital Security bootcamp in New Orleans.
SANS Institute is to information security what Top Gun is to the Air Force. SANS travels all over the world, setting up bootcamp training in computer crime forensics, perimeter protection and wireless security, to name a few. Their instructors are hands down, the best of the best, the elite.
I have had the privilege of being a SANS facilitator, assisting the instructors at now three SANS bootcamps (Orlando, San Diego and New Orleans). My goal is to work at least 2 SANS events each year.
I was especially glad that I could attend the SANS bootcamp in The Big Easy. New Orleans has seen anything but easy these past couple of years, and it was great to contribute in some small way to the recovery of their economy. In addition to pumping hotel, airfare and meals into the local market, I managed to pull a few cranks on some penny slots and still have enough leftover for these lovely alligator oven mitts (above photo). Last time I was in New Orleans (2000?), I went on a guided swamp tour to see real gators in their natural habitat. One of my few regrets in life is that I didn't save the cloth alligator cap that I bought as a souvenir from that trip, but no time to go 'gatoring this go-round, this visit was 99% business! (If you're wondering where the other 1% went, you can go to my other blog, HackerPrincess.blogspot.com, guess you had to be there...)
Unfortunately the photos I took were from one of those instant cameras and either the one I purchased had gone through the flood, or the developer did something wrong, but the pictures came out extremely grainy and pixilated. Guess I'll just have to go back!
Ah, I see another SANS in your future!